Nothing exists in your waking life until it first manifests in your mind...Nothing can be done by you unless a thought manifests in your hands...Let your curiosity guide the things you do and let your love for adventure be the fuel on your trip.

Friday, June 10, 2011

My Trip to See a Space Shuttle Launch is: Mission Accomplished!

Turning 40 has done a few things to my psyche.

One of those things is this constant noise in the back of my brain that keeps reminding me that there has always been a few things that I wanted to do in my life. Not just before I die, really, but before it doesn't make a lot of sense to pursue any longer. Some of the items on that list are the usual "bucket list" items... items like traveling to a few foreign and exotic countries (I'll never finish that one)...getting married to a beautiful women...check...a chance to drive a Jaguar at least once (and not during a bogus test-drive)...check...and one big item: I wanted a recording contract--something significant...but that one could not be checked off--oh, well...
But there have been a few other items that have been more or less attainable and realistic, like...riding a Harley--sort of similar to my desire to driving a Jaguar-- and the somewhat less attainable item of going to see a Space Shuttle launch!

Now, as many know, the Space Shuttle Program has been slated to end this summer. The shuttle vehicles are getting old, it's extremely expensive and dangerous to operate...and well, let's face it...not everyone cares about the program like they used to.

That bums me out, I have to say.

Now, me being a full time student, I was not really in a position to just take a few days, or even close to a week off to possibly see a Space Shuttle launch...the scheduled launch dates are often "scrubbed" right before launch time and I really didn't have that kind of luxury during school...and I certainly didn't have the time when I was working six days a week. But this last mission, Shuttle Endeavour's STS-134 mission, had been scheduled originally in April, which was during the spring semester...but as luck would have it, it was scrubbed not once, but twice! Moving the possible launch date to a time during my summer break!

Perfect!

So, then my mind started working on it...I don't want to just hop in the car and go. I also didn't want to just park, watch--then go home. How boring would that be? Instead, I thought that this would be a great opportunity to document the whole experience! I have a camera with video capability and I obviously have a computer, right?...What more would I need to create a record of a once-in-a-lifetime event...to have a keepsake of something I'll never do again, and something I have always wanted to do?

So, here it is...the first part of the 4 or 5 segments I am working to put together...documenting my trip to watch Shuttle Endeavour's final voyage into space! I'm calling it "Slaying a Dragon"...because that's kind of what it was like! It was a fantastic adventure--one that I will never forget---and one that I am really excited to share!
So here' goes...Part One!


No comments:

Post a Comment